A New Year for New Art
A Crazy Quilt Background
Summer Art Quilt III
Painting on Fabric
After all the progress I had made on my wall hanging so far, at this point I got stuck. I was really struggling with how to add on the flowers. In the pattern that I saw, there were cut out flowers that you appliquéd on. I enjoy appliqué sometimes, but I did NOT want to fiddle around with lots of flowers, petals, stems and leaves. I didn’t want to go there.
This is me auditioning fabrics that never made the cut.
I thought for a couple of weeks about trying to attach a more 3-D kind of flower. Some kind of crazy folded fabric flower, or stiffened fabric that created a flower shape. I turned that around in my mind for a while, but beyond the I-have-no-idea-how-to-do-that-and-I-really-don’t-want-to-learn-another-new-thing-right-now factor, I also recognized that if I created a piece with pop-up flowers that I would be hanging in a high traffic zone, the flowers were going to get caught on clothes and be a target for little grabby hands to play with every day. I could just hear myself saying for the thirtieth time: PLEASE DON’T TOUCH MOMMY’S WALL HANGING! I didn't want to go there, either.
As I was leafing through a fabric catalog, I suddenly was inspired to fussy cut (cutting around) flowers out of printed fabric. The flowers are already made, all I have to do is cut them out and fuse them down. Eureka! I was inspired and rushed out to my craft room after weeks of indecision. I had some beautiful poppy flower fabric that I had been hording that was perfect for the big vase, and it also had buds for the poppies that I used for one of the smaller vases. Two other fabrics filled in the rest, Mistyfuzed them down, and I was nearly done!